Video: HSN’s Lauren Wilner Dishes on How to Make Runway Your Reality
This chic fashion director dishes on how you can look amazing, trendy, adorable and not live on ramen.
Let’s be honest — trying to figure out what the new trends are can be as frustrating as finding your keys in the morning. You have a vague idea of what they are, or where you left them, but actually getting them can be uber frustrating! That’s why I interviewed HSN’s Fashion Director, Lauren Wilner. She has spent her life as a fashion detective, searching out the newest, hottest and best designers and trends.Think of Lauren as a cooler, hipper and more fun verision of Nina Garcia. Lauren’s worked for the Smithsonian, and as a trend forecaster for The Doneger Group and Scoop NYC. Now Lauren’s using her fashion expertise for HSN, where she works with Naeem Khan, Badgley Mischka, Twiggy LONDON and other top designer brands. In addition, you can catch Lauren on HSN’s special events, on-air destination events and HSN’s fashion series presented by ELLE.
So yeah, you can definitely say that Lauren knows not only how to rock fashion trends, but also how to do it without breaking the bank or losing your mind.
After viewing the ADAM show, we sat down and talked about so many subjects. How quickly Kate and Pippa Middleton have become fashion icons. How accessories can change your look in an instant. What to buy if you’re only going to pick up one item for fall. What’s hot for spring and fall. And of course the new, cool designers like Iris Apfel, Lulu Guiness, ADAM and more that are coming to HSN.
Lauren’s tips on how to quickly — and AFFORDABLY — update your wardrobe:
• Spring is about mixing prints, stripes and dots. The runway to reality tip is to use prints in the same color story. For example you can mix black and white dots with a black and white print.
• Use fashion shows as inspiration and then shop your wardrobe. Take bits and pieces from what you see and incorporate them into your wardrobe. You don’t have to have the exact same item that’s shown on the runway to be on-trend.
• Color blocking will still be huge next spring. You can start color blocking now by using accessories — shoes, handbags, scarves — to update your look. A quick way to update your look is to use a neutral item like khaki pants or jeans as the base of your outfit, then add color.
• Update with accessories. All you need is one new item to change an outfit.
• For fall, the popular style is the structured lady-like bag. Think of Pippa Middleton’s bags.
• Heels for fall are going lower. (Our feet just applauded.) A perfect fall shoe is Sam Edelman’s Portnoy ($120, hsn.com).
Doesn’t it look like something Kate Middleton would wear?
PJ Gach is Senior Editor: Style + Beauty at BettyConfidential.