The Complete Guide to Bright, Sexy Summer Lips!
Brilliant pinks, corals and orange lipsticks and glosses will light up your complexion.
Kick your pastel lips to the curb! Bright colors are here for the season. Take a look at Selena Gomez and Kate Bosworth above — their smiles are dazzling in this season’s hot shades. We checked in with Gilbert Soliz, Sephora PRO Beauty makeup expert and got the complete 411 on how to wear this trend.
Q: Neon and bright lips are the rage this summer — what shades go best with different skin tones?
A: I love a bright lip. It is the perfect accessory to wear in the summer! For cooler skin tones, a hot pink with a hint of purple or fuchsia will warm up your face. To brighten up a warmer complexion choose bright orange shades. A go-to color for all skin tones is coral. This universally flattering shade is a perfect way to break into bright tones.
Q: Because these shades are highly pigmented, should you apply them a bit differently than a regular lipstick? Do you need to outline your lips with a pencil first for example?
A: When you are applying any lip color, it is always important to prep your lips to create a smooth surface. Then apply a primer to ensure color adheres to lip easily. Since bright shades are highly pigmented, a full lip isn’t hard to achieve, so it isn’t necessary use a lip liner. I would really only recommend using a lip liner if you have extremely thin lips and need to create added definition. Then instead of applying lipstick directly to the lips or with a lip brush, use fingers to progressively build color. Dab color onto lips instead of sweeping color across lips. Once you have created a bright base then use a lip brush to fill in lips with shade.
Q: If your lips are bright, how do you balance the rest of your face makeup?
A: Always keep a natural complexion. This way, the focus remains on the lips and allows the color to really take on the spotlight.
HOT PINK lipsticks to try:
1. Tarte LipSurgence natural lip tint in Amused ($24, beauty.com). This bright pink gloss/lipstick in a pencil is paraben, mineral oil and phthalates free. It tastes of peppermint and the color lasts all day.
2. Pixi Succulent Lip Twin in Pink Peony ($18, target.com). This product multi-tasks — you can use it for lips and cheeks.
3. Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick in Backstage Bambi ($18, sephora.com). Barbie goes punk. Audacious true color and a moisturizing formula.
GORGEOUS ORANGE lipsticks to try:
1. MAC Cosmetics lipstick in Morange ($14.50, maccosmetics.com). It’s an amplified crème lipstick. True orange.
2. Nyx Diamond Sparkle lipstick in Sparkling Orange ($5.49, ulta.com). Long lasting and smudge proof too.
3. Kat Von D Painted Love lipstick in A-Go-Go ($18, sephora.com). A bright orange with a hint of red.
CORAL lipsticks to try:
1. Covergirl Lip Pperfection lipstick in Flame ($6.99, amazon.com). Smooth as silk, moisturizing and long lasting.
2. Essence Cosmetics lipstick in Fifth Avenue ($2.49, ulta.com). This pink- coral is a warm, intense, yet wearable shade.
3. By Terrybly age-defying lipstick in Cupid Peony ($48, beautybar.com). It’s a vivid, clear coral. The lipstick contains 100 percent pure and untreated pigments and anti-aging ingredients.
Bright lip glosses and more advice up next!