How to NOT Have Frizz: 5 Important Tips from Celebrity Hairstylist Umberto
Umberto of Beverly Hills graciously dished on how to have sleek, shiny, sexy hair.
Last night I went to the Target Fall Beauty Preview. There were lots of fabulous products there. However, when I saw celebrity hairstylist Umberto of his famous Umberto of Beverly Hills salon there, I made a beeline over to him. How many of us are plagued by frizzy hair in the summer? How many of us style our hair and it’s sleek and gorgeous…for about five minutes, then it blows up in volume. Instead of sleek, you look like a troll doll.
In person, Umberto is charming, funny and so patient with a freaked out editor. His eyes sparkled almost as much as his gold sneakers. While he was talking and working on my hair I took notes.
Here they are:
1. Apply oil or any styling product from the bottom of your head on up. Flip your head over and then apply oil. It makes a big difference. I had blown out my hair before the event using an stupid expensive (cough, cough) hair oil. It did nothing. Umberto used his Umberto Roman Oil ($9.99, target.com) on my head and it did what the other one couldn’t do—gave me shine and zero frizz.
2. Use a hair brush that actually grabs your hair. For lift, use a brush that does that. Umberto used his Umberto Banana brush ($8.99, target.com) on the top of my head. It made a big difference. When he fixed the rest of my hair, he used his Umberto round brush.
3. Stay away from hairbrushes that have metal bristles if you have wavy or curly hair. You will get frizz. I know this as I just learned I’ve been using the wrong brushes most of my life.
4. When blow drying your hair, use the highest heat setting. It kills the frizz.
5. Flat irons are your friend. If you’re going for straight hair, finish styling it with a flat iron. Umberto used his Umberto Ionic Ceramic styling iron. You can use it to straighten and add curl to your hair. I am going to hunt it down.
PJ Gach is Senior Editor: Style + Beauty at BettyConfidential.