Martha Stewart’s Meyer Lemon Crepe Cake
A Martha Stewart masterpiece that any sweet lover can make.
– Recipe Courtesy of Martha Stewart Living April 2010
This elegant dessert is easier to prepare than you might think. You can make the crepes one day ahead and store in the refrigerator.
Makes 10 to 12 Servings
Ingredients for crepes:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cupcake sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups whole milk, room temperature
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, melted plus more, melted for pan
Meyer Lemon Curd Mousse (recipe follows)
1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
Candied Meyer Lemons (optional; recipe follows)
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla. Gradually pour milk mixture into flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Whisk in butter. Pour through a fine sieve into an airtight container; discard lumps. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Lightly coat a 6-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet with butter. Heat over medium, heat until just starting to smoke. Remove from heat; pour about 2 tablespoons batter into center. Swirl to cover bottom. Reduce heat to medium-low; return pan to heat. Cook until edges are golden and center is dry, about 30 seconds per side.
3. Slide crepe onto overturned plate. Repeat with remaining batter, coating pan with butter as needed, and stacking crepes. Let cool.
4. Place 1 crepe on a flat serving dish. Spread about ¼ cup lemon curd mousse onto crepe. Top with 1 crepe. Continue layering crepes and mousse. (Use 15 crepes, ending with a crepe on top.) Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
5. Top crepe cake with whipped cream and 3 or 4 candied lemon slices.