Betty’s New Year’s Countdown
The Best Chick Flicks of 2008
Oh, you meant 2008, not 1988!
It’s that time of year where we Bettys bang our heads together to come up with the list of our favorite chick flicks. Well, considering it’s our first year as Bettys, it’s really THE FIRST TIME we’ve banged our heads together, and when you see the list of our TOP CHICK FLICKS of 2008, you can tell we really did do some head-banging. Ouch!
When given the task of sharing our favorite chick flicks, answers were as diverse and colorful as the Betty Team. One caveat was obvious: no one needed to vote for Sex and the City because, DUH, that screams CHICK FLICK all over the place. It made our list by title alone; no votes needed.
And here, in no particular order, is the rest of the list for your perusal (and Netflix queue!):
1. Sex and the City – even Joseph voted for it: “I’m comfortable in my masculinity and I must say Sex and the City – I unapologetically loved it!”
2. Twilight – can you say EYE CANDY?
3. The Women – The cast and music scream CHICK FLICK! And the fact that there is NOT ONE SINGLE MAN in the whole movie – PERFECT!
4. Slumdog Millionaire – It’s a love story; He goes through all sorts of hell, and we do mean, HELL, to get the girl. And he’s soooo cute.
5. Vicky Cristina Barcelona – Sexy chick flick of the year!
6. Iron Man – It’s an “out of the box” choice, but we dug the Gwyneth Paltrow/Robert Downey Jr. dynamic. Sexy and playful. Super sexy. Did we mention sexy? We also liked imagining we have Gwyneth Paltrow’s legs.
7. 27 Dresses – Yes, we knew how it was going to end, and yes it was totally predictable and calibrated to be as chick-flicky as possible, but we loved it anyway.
8. Brideshead Revisited – Acting = superb! Emma Thompson takes the cake. Bummer of an ending though.
9. Mamma Mia! – We’re just gonna say it, Mamma Mia! would be perfect for a certain kind of GNO. (That’s Girl’s Night Out – and if you didn’t know that then you need more of them!)
10. The Duchess – anything but The Duchess. Awwwwful! As Carrie said: “I should have been their target audience, but I was flipping off the screen.” We love Keira, but she let us down.
11. Australia – Mostly for the Hugh Jackman showering scene. [heavy sigh]
12. Revolutionary Road – Kate and Leo! Kate and Leo! MY HEART WILL GO ON!
And, because the Bettys have no sense of what a YEAR IN REVIEW means, here are OUR ALL TIME FAVORITES that rang loud and clear ‘round the cyber conference table:
Sixteen Candles – Jake Ryan! – MALLIED! – Long Duck Dong! – I CAN’T BELIEVE MY GRANDMOTHER JUST FELT ME UP! – Can I borrow your underpants for 10 minutes? – Very hot! Very hot!
Pretty in Pink – “Can I nominate Pretty in Pink, just because it is THE best chick flick of ALL time?” (-Megan, our Career and Money editor)
[Editor’s note: This movie nomination request, despite it being an ‘80s flick, got the most “YAYs” and commentary out of ANY of the movies with extra banter about “Freaking James Spader and Duckie Dale” and its INCREDIBLE soundtrack!]
Can’t Buy Me Love – McDreamy.
Shakespeare in Love – Aww Gwynnie. Who could forget that movie – and her sobbing, pink-gowned Oscar acceptance speech? (Side note: Hey – whatever happened to what’s his name? The little Feinnes brother?)
The Breakfast Club – Obviously we have a John Hughes fixation. [Editor’s note: Obviously the Bettys took the theme song to heart and really didn’t FORGET ABOUT THIS MOVIE since it’s been around for 24 years! OMG, am I THAT OLD?!]
The English Patient – Romance, tragedy, period costumes, Ralph Feinnes. What more do you need?
We’re an eclectic bunch with unique tastes, don’t you think? Many of our picks didn’t exactly debut in the year of ’08 (hellooo), and of the few that did, don’t exactly classify in the genre of chicky movies! Iron Man, Slumdog Millionaire and Twilight?
Yet, this is Betty taste for you, and we tell it like it is. Your best friend. Only better. And we’re HONEST, and that’s how we feel about our favorite movies.
However, next time we take a Betty poll for our FAVORITES list of a particular year of CHICK FLICK movies, we’ll try to be more specific, and we’ll also make sure not to do it around the cyber-conference table while drinking the last of the Christmas eggnog!