Bittersweet Chocolate Panini
Introducing a new dessert with Panettone to get instantly hooked on.
-Courtesy of Italy’s famed panettone maker: Bauli
Makes 4 servings
Panettone, that gloriously tall dome-shaped cake, is imported from Italy every year at this time. Panettone is wonderfully moist, and delicious. Perfect for slicing and eating as is, and terrific as a key ingredient in so many recipes. Try it in French Toast or in this simple-to- make extraordinary dessert.
2 whole slices of Bauli Panettone, cut 1/2-inch thick crosswise, horizontally
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
1/2 pint of fresh raspberries
1. Cut each Panettone slice in half and then in half again creating quarter slices. You will need two quarters to make one panini. Butter one side of each quarter slice with 1 teaspoon of the softened butter and place 4 slices buttered side down on a work surface.
2. Top each of the 4 slices with 1 Tablespoon of the chopped chocolate to within 1/4 inch of the edges of the Panettone. Place 1-1/2 Tablespoons of the mascarpone in the center and top each with a second quarter slice of Panettone, buttered side up, to create a triangular sandwich.
3. The chocolate can be chopped in a food processor: simply break up the chocolate bar or chunk, place in the food processor, and pulse lightly until coarsely chopped.
4. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the panini without crowding the skillet and cook for 1 minute, pressing lightly with a large spatula until golden brown. Carefully turn the panini over and cook for about 1 minute longer or until golden brown and chocolate has just melted. The panini also toasts nicely in a skillet grill. Heat the skillet over medium heat until hot and follow instructions above.
5. Transfer the panini to individual serving plates, dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve at once, accompanied by fresh raspberries and a good cup of espresso or cappuccino.
Make some espresso to complement your chocolate panini dessert with this espresso machine from wholelattelove.com.
Drool over some more delicious dessert recipes in BettyConfidential’s Recipe File.