Style + Beauty Editor
Betty Summer Style Guide
New no-diet tricks to shed 5 lbs fast!
-Lois Joy Johnson
I suspect my bathroom scale and full-length mirror are in a fashion conspiracy. They betrayed me big-time just when my cold-weather security detail of layers, camouflage cardigans and Spanx Tight End pantyhose were sent to hibernate in the closet.
Eyewitnesses have testified they saw me looking trim one day, and then bloated and puffy the next.
But I am determined not to let that scale and mirror get away with their dastardly plan. My counter attack consists of no-diet fashion and beauty tips to shed 5 pounds fast as I get ready to bare all for summer. Follow if you dare:
1. Slather on a tinted firming body cream like Rodial Skinny Beach SPF 15 Tinted ($49, drugstore.com) The formula uses veggie-based collagen to tighten, and a combo of caffeine, saccharide salt and carnitine to reduce water retention…and the tint hides stretch marks too.
2. Give flabby, blobby, splotchy legs a more uniform, toned look with a spritz of Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs, in Tan Glow for Medium to Tan Skintones or the Fair to Medium shade ($13.69, drugstore.com and drugstores). Yes, you could use self-tanner, but this spray-on mist of subtle color doesn’t require doing the entire body to match, and the vitamin K in the formula helps fade broken capillaries and freckles. Plus, it is absolutely transfer-resistant and won’t end up on your car, clothes, furniture or your boyfriend’s lap.
3. If you’re makeup savvy, try Smokin’ Hot Legs by It Cosmetics ($44, hsn.com) This kit of sweatproof body contour whittles thighs calves and cankles down to Kate Moss proportions with matte bronzer and highlighting shimmer. Trust me, it’s easy – even I can do it.
4. Get a new pair of my favorite wedges: Kork-Ease in the Ava style, in natural ($139, zappos.com) or gold ($135, zappos.com) to add inches to your legs instead of those stiletto platforms sandals that are actually very hard to race around in.
5. Stock up on a few Yummie Tummie Boyfriend tanks ($62 each, yummietummie.com) They’re a bit pricey for a tank, but c’mon, there is a reason they are loved by Oprah, Kimora Lee Simmons, Jennifer Lopez, Bobbi Brown, and even Tina Fey. . .and that is they are meant to be seen (not just layered) and have a built-in power tummy panel as part of the design. I love the raspberry, but get the black and white, too, because you will wear them to death.
6. Give yourself big beachy hair with Charles Worthington London Big Hair Full Volumizing Salt Spray ($5.99, drugstore.com). It creates that random undone texture you see all over L.A. and Malibu, and it defines layered cuts. May sound funny, but bigger hair does make your body look smaller – this product gets you there in a fresh way without looking like Dolly Parton.
7. Before bed, go head-to toe with a caffeine-laced body cream like Bliss Fat Girl Sleep ($38, sephora.com) or St. Ives Cellulite Shield Gel Crème ($6.99, drugstore.com and drugstores) enriched with menthol, caffeine, green tea and citrus extracts Caffeine works like a diuretic to pull excess fluid from the body. And it does work.
8. Get a “makes-me-look-thin” dress like Splendid’s modal jersey halter dress ($145, revolveclothing.com). The deep plunge V-neck and raised waist divert the eye so no one even pays attention to anything else. Another goodie in this category: Michael Stars Luca Doleman Dress in viscose/spandex ($148, urbanminx.com).
Read more of Lois’s summer style tips: What’s Your Summer Weekend Style?