25 Things About Jessica Chastain
Everything you need to know about Jessica Chastain, star of The Help, The Tree of Life, The Debt, and the new film Zero Dark Thirty.
Whether you’re red-y or not (see what we did there?), Jessica Chastain is taking the silver screen on by storm. The redheaded starlet is proving that roles for women in their 30’s are still alive and kickin’: She picked up a total of 7 starring roles last year alone. Two of these films, The Tree of Life and The Help, have already been received to great acclaim and have placed Chastain alongside the likes of Brad Pitt and Emma Stone. With a much-talked-about performance in Zero Dark Thirty next (in cinemas nationwide January 11!), we’re awfully curious about what the California native is like. Here are 25 things you may not know about Jessica Chastain:
1. Born in Northern California, Jessica stands at 5’4”- exactly the same height as your esteemed writer.
2. A graduate of The Juilliard School in NYC, Jessica received a scholarship to pursue her drama major from actor (and alumni) Robin Williams.
3. Her star sign is Aries, hence her energetic nature and her creative flair for the arts.
4. She’s an all-natural redhead.
5. Need her to cry? Jess is up to the task, remarking that she has “a bottomless well of tears.” No eyedrops necessary for this girl!
6. You won’t find Jessica munching on any turkey or bacon- she is a proud vegan. She also comes from a big pro-veggie family: Her mother is a vegan chef.
7. One of her biggest dreams is to buy her mother her very own food truck.
Jessica in ‘Zero Dark Thirty,’ in cinemas nationwide on January 11, 2013.
8. For The Help, Jessica had to gain 15 pounds (not to mention change her hair color) to play blond bombshell Celia Foote. She described it as “torture” and got her curves by downing cartons of soy ice cream, which she microwaved and drank. Ick!
9. Actress Helen Mirren is a huge fan of Chastain’s, having seen “[her] younger self” in her. She also praises the star for her “dogged” perseverance.
10. Tom Cruise taught Jessica how to run, albeit indirectly:The Debt costar Sam Worthington encouraged her to run like the celeb by teaching her the secret of arm pumping.
11. Jessica is a trained dancer and ballerina who described her first running scene in The Debt as running “like Gumby” with stick-straight arms.
12. Though the running is good, Jessica is also a devout yoga disciple.
13. Her grandmother tells her to be more sexual. Jessica’s grandmother is very pro-showing lots of “skin, skin, skin,” as Chastain revealed in an interview with Conan O’Brien.
More facts on the next page!