Get the Look: Emilia Clarke’s Fresh + Glam ‘Game of Thrones’ Premiere Makeup
Emilia Clarke stunned at the ‘Game of Thrones’ season three premiere in LA in a gorgeous blue dress and glam, yet fresh makeup. Here’s how to get her beauty look!
We don’t know about you, Bettys, but we can’t wait until Game of Thrones returns to HBO at the end of the month. The third season debuted with on heck of a party in LA this past Monday, and of course its stars were looking stunning—very different from their battle-hardened characters on the show!
We’re especially in love with the look Emilia Clarke, who plays Daenerys “The Mother of Dragons” Targaryen, sported to the premiere. She offset her gorgeous blue Victoria Beckham gown with a glam yet fresh beauty look. Said makeup artist Dawn Broussard, who created the look, “Emilia’s dress had royal blue tones and was super sleek and modern, so we didn’t want to contrast too much with her makeup. We wanted timeless glamour with a hint of something excitable.” We think it’s safe to say they achieved their goal!
Love the look? Dawn dished to us about how she did—and how you can recreate it yourself. All you need is a strapless blue gown (how about this strapless sweetheart gown from Lauren Ralph Lauren?), and you’re good to go!
1. Prep your skin with Biore’s acne clearing scrub ($7.49, drugstore.com) for a beautiful, luminous complexion. Bonus: The scrub gently cleanses and polishes skin, but without irritating or over-drying.
2. Massage a primer into your skin and use a tissue to remove the excess product. Try: Urban Decay Pore Perfecting primer potion ($41.50, amazon.com).
3. Apply foundation in a circular motion using a foundation brush. Use a sponge to pat around the face in an upward motion to further blend the foundation. Try: Neutrogena SkinClearing oil-free makeup ($13.99, drugstore.com), CARGO foundation brush ($30, beauty.com).
3. Create a subtle smoky eye with black liner and a shadow palette of stone greys and silver. Try: Dior 5 Couleurs eye shadow palette in Smoky Design ($60, shop.nordstrom.com), L’Oreal Extra Intense liquid pencil eyeliner in Black ($8.95, drugstore.com). With this particular palette, use the center grey shadow on your lids, blend the darker grey shadow in the palette’s upper left corner in your crease, and highlight your brow bone with the silver shadow in the palette’s upper right corner. Line your top lash line with the black eyeliner, and blend more of the silver shadow in the inner corners of your eyes and along the bottom lash line.
4. Apply black mascara to the top lashes and brown mascara to the bottom lashes. For some extra oomph, you can also layer a combination of short and medium false eyelashes along the top lash line before you hit things up with the mascara. Try: Mally Beauty waterproof volumizing mascara in Black ($20, beauty.com), Mally Beauty Xtra Hold maximizing mascara in Black/Brown ($25, beauty.com), Japonesque Criss Cross eyelashes ($8.5, beauty.com).
5. Apply a soft, matte bronzer to your cheekbones, under your chin, and on your nose. Then blend a soft, baby pink blush upward into the bronzer. Finish your cheeks off with a pale pink highlighter that’s a few shades lighter than the blush. Try: Tarte Amazonian clay waterproof matte mineral powder bronzer ($29, tartecosmetics.com), CARGO blush in Catalina ($29, beauty.com), Boots No. 7 Skin illuminator in Pink ($9.99, drugstore.com).
6. Pick out a lip color that’s a few shades darker than your natural lip color. Dab it onto your lips with your fingertip to create a stain. Try: Urban Decay Super Saturated high gloss lip color in Naked ($19, beauty.com).
7. Finish the look off with a dusting of translucent powder on your T-zone to keep your face shine-free. Try: Clinique Stay-Matte sheer pressed oil-free powder in Invisible Matte ($22, shop.nordstrom.com).
Now, then: Who’s got a dragon egg or two we can borrow?
Lucia Peters is BettyConfidential’s senior editor.